One of the industries that's taking a big hit as a result of the Coronavirus / Covid-19 outbreak is the restaurant business. But the industry is also doing a lot to ensure that the staff and customers are as safe as possible. With a cleanliness rating right there on the door, your favourite restaurant already has cleanliness as a top priority - and that's been upped further with sanitisers regularly available.
Some restaurants are also putting in specific measures and we'll be updating this page daily as we hear about them, so keep it bookmarked.
More restaurants have started doing delivery/takeaway
As restaurants and pubs start to shut, some of them have been able to change the way they work. All the links below are to Instagram or Twitter for their latest news.
Open for business now (check for working days):
- 40 Maltby Street are focusing on wine delivery during the lockdown..
- Bistro Union in Clapham is becoming a community shop selling meals, pasta, dry goods and wine.
- Bright go big with a magnum-only wine delivery service.
- Byron - all their restaurants have gone fully delivery-only on Deliveroo.
- The Cheese Truck have set up MacDaddy - doing 6 brand new Macaroni Cheese dishes, along with sides and desserts on Deliveroo
- Dusty Knuckle in Dalston are open mornings, for bread and coffee with a delivery service coming soon.
- E5 Bakehouse in London Fields are focusing on take out bread only. One in one out.
- Farang (pictured above) in Highbury have launched a takeaway only service - either ready to eat or cold to heat up at home.
- Four Legs in Islington's Compton Arms are going delivery and takeaway only. So you don't have to miss out on their outstanding burgers (or potatoes with aioli).
- Hammer & Tongs are now doing 25% off if you collect (50% if you're NHS) and are also on Deliveroo.
- Hide in Mayfair have launched the Hide at Home service from Monday 23 March.Using delivery app SUPPER they'll deliver the restaurant's dishes that travel well along with Hedonism wines.
- The Laughing Heart are delivering comfort and ready meals to a 3-mile radius along with wine and frozen dumplings.
- Lucky and Joy in Hackney - the Chinese and Chinatown inspired restaurant are offering free delivery within a two mile radius
- Mao Chow in Hackney are now delivering dumplings, noodles and more to Hackney
- Murger Han in Euston and Murger Han Han in Mayfair are doing both collection and delivery for their Xi'an food on Deliveroo and Hungry Panda.
- Peg have retooled into Peg Pick-Me-Up Kiosk with food and wine to take away, Thursday-Sunday 4-9pm
- Pidgin in Hackney are have restarted as Homing Pidgin, sending out a weekly-changing 3-course meal
- Prairie Fire BBQ are delivering to residences and offices that are still open in the White City Area. They are also offering takeaway options for those who want to call ahead and pick up. Find them on Deliveroo.
- Romulo Cafe are delivering their Filipino food from Kensington to anything within a mile radius for free and are on most Delivery services too.
- Snackbar in Dalston have launched a delivery service, with SnackMuffin’s, Snackbar Rice Bowls and more available.
- Top Cuvee in Highbury are kicking off their own home delivery service - they'll even serve you up a three-course meal with wine.
- Yardarm in Leyton have shifted to takeaway to takeaway that you can reheat at home
- Four Sisters bar in Islington will soon have pre-made cocktails to collect.
- Iberica are working on launching their best-loved dishes on Deliveroo. They're also launching an Ibérica shop selling our deli products and wines and will deliver these orders on foot, to super-local addresses or you can collect from their restaurants
- Rice Error will be a new delivery service from Bao.
Look out for a lot more info about all of the above and more in the coming weeks.
Buy now, dine later
If you're looking to help your favourite restaurant during a hard time but aren't feeling up to mixing with people right now, then why not pick up a voucher and plan a visit when things calm down. Here are some of the restaurants offering vouchers:
- 40FT Brewery in Dalston will double your bar tab. For every £1 you put on now, that'll get you £2 of great beer when they reopen.
- Benares - the Mayfair Indian restaurant is offering 15% off vouchers until mid-April
- Bleecker - One of London's best burgers (gift vouchers 20% off)
- Bocca di Lupo - top Italian restaurant in Soho
- The Cinnamon Club - Vivek Singh's classic Indian restaurant
- Hawksmoor - Steak masters
- Kricket - Indian inspired small plates
- Mei-Mei - Singaporean chicken marvel in Borough
- Ormer Mayfair - Shaun Rankin in London
- Sky Garden's Darwin Brasserie and Fenchurch - high rise restaurants
- Trullo - Amazing Islington Italian
- Young's Pubs - Pubs across town (including the Guinea Grill)