During the lockdown, some new restaurants that were due to open instead kicked things off with a delivery service. One of those is Attawa in Dalston, which has a menu that's been created by Arbinder Duggal, a semi-finalist on Masterchef: The Professionals 2019.
The restaurant is run by Ravinder and Amar Madhray, a husband and wife team, and the restaurant takes its cues from their origins. Attawa is the name of their family village in Punjab, where they lived before relocating to London in the 70s, and the food will be a modern take on Punjabi cooking.
The owners have been in London for 30 years and already owned the place where Attawa is opening. A tenant moving on gave them the impetus to open up their own restaurant - which we're told is a long-held dream of theirs.
Here's a taste of the menu:
- Amritsa Khatta Ladoo – fried lentil dumplings, served with relish and carrots, topped with pani
- Tandoor Lamb Sheek – served with mint chutney
- Aloo, Gobi, Gajjar Subzi – slow cooked masala potatoes, cauliflower, and carrot
- Punjabi Chicken Kari - a traditional home-cooked chicken curry
- Pindhi Chole – chickpeas slow-cooked in chana masala, a North Indian classic
- Gulab Jamun – sweet and sticky dough balls soaked in syrup
On top of that, there are sides that include Bibi’s chutneys (made to the family’s original recipe), boondi raita, dhal makani and freshly made breads including chilli naan and tandoor roti.
Obviously, they started with delivery but will open the restaurant in July for dining in.
More about Attawa
Where is it? 6 Kingsland High Street, London E8 2JP
When does it open? 10 June 2020. Collection and delivery, 22 July for dining in.
Subscribe to be the first to get the news from Hot Dinners