What: MiMi Mei Fair
In a nutshell: Opulent new restaurant in Mayfair
Summing it all up: The restaurateur behind Jamavar and Bombay Bustle is opening another Mayfair venture in September. This one’s called MiMi Mei Fair and will evoke the opulent wonders of old-world China.
If the thought of a mystical dining room with trinkets from old-world China appeals, read on. MiMi Mei Fair is the third venture for restaurateur Samyukta Nair, previously behind the openings of the successful Jamavar and Bombay Bustle. Also located in Mayfair, MiMi Mei Fair imagines what it would be like to dine in the secret residence of an empress (named Empress MiMi, which means ‘secret’ in Mandarin).
Spanning three floors of a Georgian townhouse on Curzon Street (Ground Floor, The Parlour, and The Library), it's been brought to life by designer Tom Stother at Fabled Studio together with Samyukta Nair who is installing antiques and heirlooms in the rooms from her personal collection. Their inspiration spans 1920s Shanghai, the Forbidden Palace of Beijing and ancient folklore tales, so prepare to be intrigued as you navigate the marble fish-scale mosaic floor towards dining booths fashioned like snugs and separated with mirrored panels.
The Executive Chef is Chinese-Singaporean Peter Ho, formerly of Michelin-starred Lei Garden Singapore, My Humble House Beijing, HKK and Hakkasan London. The menu will feature Chinese dishes from Hong Kong, Singapore and mainland China, such as:
- Smoked applewood Chilean sea bass with Shaoxing wine
- Crispy golden langoustine with Périgord truffle, sweet soya and fried leeks
- Steamed XO okra with shallot and enoki mushroom crumble
- Lobster cooked three ways – wok-baked with spring onion and ginger, steamed with MiMi’s pickled chilli or braised with ‘Yung Chun’ noodles
- Black pepper and garlic Atlantic crab
- Dong Po braised pork belly with sesame mantou cigars and black bean chilli and garlic aubergine
There will also be speciality dim sum chefs on hand to tempt you with the following:
- Xiao Long Baos in beetroot, purple sweet potato, Chinese chive and heritage carrot
- Sea urchin and turnip puffs with white mooli
- Spicy Szechuan pork wontons
- Seaweed and spinach jade dumplings
Plus, once your plates are cleared, you can head down to the mirror-panelled Moon Bar and peer up at an iridescent ceiling, designed to emulate a full moon.
More about MiMi Mei Fair
Where is it? 55 Curzon Street, Mayfair, London W1J 8PG
When does it open? 7 September 2021
Photo by Steven Joyce.
Subscribe to be the first to get the news from Hot Dinners