Changes are afoot at the J Sheekey Oyster Bar - which is transforming into the J Sheekey Atlantic Bar. It's all to reflect a new menu that does a lot more than oysters...
The most welcome section of the new menu (by us, at least) is a whole new lobster section. That's running until 10 September (when the native oyster menu kicks in) and has:
- Chilled golden tomato soup with lobster, avocado and chilli oil £9.25
- Lobster & shrimp burger with tomato and horseradish sauce £15.50
- Lobster, avocado & mango salad with lobster chips & chilli dressing £9.25
- Lobster & shiso tempura with chilli jam £16.50
- Sautéed cod cheeks with lobster gyoza and dashi broth £13.50
- Half lobster mayonnaise £19.50
The menu will also keep old faves like the whole Devon cock crab, Isle of Mull scallops and Sheekey’s fish pie.
And the terrace is getting a big revamp too. It'll seat 50, open from noon until late. Expect a new look to the terrace - and a contrasting look for the bar side of the terrace (deep green chairs, copper and zinc tables) and the restaurant side (more formal white-clothed tables). We also like the sound of the launch menus which will have specially-commissioned “Life Under the Atlantic” artwork by the mighty Quentin Blake.
As for booze - expect lots of rosé, Pimms (with ginger ale) and Aperol Spritz.
Photo by Sim Canetty-Clarke.