What: Mercer & Co
In a nutshell: Salt beef bagels, oreo cheesecake and five cocktails in Islington
Summing it all up: Chapel Market, just around the corner from Angel Tube, has a new salt beef and cocktail bar. They'll be serving bagels, mac & cheese, and milkshakes for those indulging, and quinoa bowls, vegan salads and smoothies for those who aren't.
Every now and again we come across a spot that's completely missed our radar - and that's the case with Mercer and Co. It's been open in Islington for a while, but as it's about to get a more official launch, there's reason to take another look.
It's in among Chapel Market’s stalls hawking extension cables and king size duvets and the like, and it's all about the salt beef. There are bagels, sandwiches and more, from breakfast until dinner - though you may want to plan an evening visit, as that’s when there’ll be cocktails and local beers to wash it down.
You can expect:
- Hand-carved salt beef, English mustard & gherkin on bagel £3.90
- Reuben with salt beef, sauerkraut & Swiss cheese £5.90
- Macaroni & cheese with Mercer beef chilli £6.40
- Blueberry chia breakfast bowl with pumpkin seeds £2.90
- Mexican style quinoa, corn, avocado, tomatoes, coriander, red onion & sour cream salad £4.00
All the salt beef is made in house according to a special recipe, and should go a treat with its accompanying pickles and mustard. If you’re in a serious hurry, there’ll be a takeaway window where you can get your beef to go, as well as pastries and breakfast rolls, plus gluten-free lemon polenta cake and vegan salads for the more 'North London-y' types among us. And Oreo cheesecake and peanut butter cupcakes too.
The other thing to remember is Mercer & Co is billing itself as a cocktail spot - so what about the drinks? Well, the cocktails sound rather good, and will be priced at a very reasonable £6 a pop. They've been brought to fruition by a combination of cold brew infusion and glass aging. Expect:
- Merceretti made with coffee-washed brandy and Amaretto
- Consulate Martini made with lychee-infused gin and vermouth, rose hip and lychee jam
- Smokey Senorita made with smoked tequila, triple sec and Lapsang Souchon
- The Liberator made with green whisky, vermouth and pastis, aged with pink grapefruit peel and thyme
There'll also be local craft beer, or if you’re one of the daytrippers, try a milkshake, or a healthy smoothie.
Mercer & Co is the latest project from Alex Foley, a firm Islingtonian who’s had plenty of influence over the area, like creating The Chapel Bar in 1999, which means he should know what he’s doing.
More about Mercer and Co
Where is it? 26A Chapel Market, London N1 9EN
When does it open? Open now
Find out more: Follow them on Instagram @mercerandco.