21/3/17 - updated with soft launch info
What: Tamarind Kitchen
In a nutshell: Tamarind Kitchen reimagines dishes from its Michelin-starred counterpart for more a relaxed dining experience.
Summing it all up: Tamarind Mayfair is opening a sister restaurant on Wardour Street, bringing with it goshts, currys and koftas galore, as well as a sharing platter with a trio of tandoor-cooked game.
Michelin-starred Tamarind, an Indian restaurant in Mayfair, is about to open a new sister branch in Soho.
Tamarind Kitchen, which will live on Wardour St, will be an altogether more relaxed affair than its palatial counterpart - think diner as opposed to restaurant. It’s largely designed to retain the elegance of the Mayfair venue, while creating a convivial, kitchen-style atmosphere.
That’s not to say the menu will be in any way lacking however. There’ll be plenty of flavoursome Indian-style dishes on offer, including
- Makai Kachumber, a corn and vegetable salad with by a chat masala dressing
- Karara Kekda, soft shell crab with potato salad and homemade pickles
- Guchchhee Kofta, morel mushroom and pea dumplings in a spiced creamy sauce
- Hydrabadi Gosht, slow-cooked lamb in a browned onion sauce flavoured with Kashmiri chilli
- South Indian Alappuzha Fish Curry with Kingfish, spiced with tamarind, mustard and curry leaves
Those who’re in a bigger group should almost certainly opt for the frankly amazing-sounding game platter, which comprises of tandoor-cooked quail, duck and guinea fowl on a bed of vermicelli. There’ll also be plenty of dips, breads and other sides to go with your meal, and a cocktail bar too.
More about Tamarind Kitchen
Where is it? 167-169 Wardour St, Soho, London, W1F 8WR
When does it open? 4 April 2017. There's a soft launch until 6 April with 50% off food.
How to book: Book online