What: The Red Duck
In a nutshell: Neighbourhood Chinese spot in Balham
Summing it all up: This Balham Chinese restaurant has a strong focus on sourcing along with celebrating the very best in Chinese cooking (with a view to training more chefs in the techniques too).
We've already been hearing good things from readers about The Red Duck, which opened quietly as delivery-only pre-Christmas (with a restaurant to follow).
It's run by Chi San, who's worked in the restaurant industry for 30 years before opening this Balham spot, pulling together chefs with a lot of experience in Chinese cooking to offer something new for a neighbourhood restaurant. They say that: "witnessing the intricate craft of Chinese cooking becoming lost, Chi’s ambition was to carry forward the important teachings of Chinese cooking." To that end, the goal is to also focus on training junior apprentices to build up knowledge of the cooking techniques.
Sourcing is at the heart of the food here - either locally or direct from Japan and here's a taster of the menu:
- Stir-Fried Beef with Ginger & Spring Onion (made with a 35-day dry-aged rib eye from HG Walter)
- Crispy Aromatic Duck (which has a 24-hour prep process, with the duck from family-owned Silver Hill farm in Northern Ireland)
- Jasmine Tea Smoked Ribs (smoked with jasmine tea before being grilled with a honey glaze)
- Satay Chicken (made from corn-fed poussin)
- Vegetarian dishes include Salt and Pepper Tofu, 3 Mushroom Fried Rice, Hakka Paneer or Vermicelli, Beansprout and Peanut Salad.
Andreja Corokalo is looking after drinks, with a wine list that focuses on low intervention and organic wines from independent and family-owned producers, while cocktails include Whiskey Highballs and bespoke bottled drinks. "Wild Sodas" are also made on-site, with ingredients like basil, elderflower, garden herbs and berries.
Once the restaurant opens to the public, it's all based around a small open kitchen in a two-level space - with booths downstairs and outside seating too.
All in all, it sounds well worth trying a delivery if you're in the area, while we're waiting to be allowed back into restaurants.
More about The Red Duck
Where is it? 1 Ramsden Rd, Balham, London SW12 8QX
When? Delivering now, restaurant early-mid 2021
Subscribe to be the first to get the news from Hot Dinners