In a nutshell: Mediterranean in Shoreditch
Summing it all up: This new restaurant in Shoreditch takes Mediterranean food (with an emphasis on Greece) as its starting point, headed up by an ex-Caravan chef.
Coming to Shoreditch is a new Mediterranean restaurant and bar called Joan. It's from Niko Kontogiannatos, former head chef at Caravan Fitzrovia, and he'll be mixing inspiration from Greece, where he hails from, and his time at Caravan. It's taking over the space that used to be Beach Blanket Babylon.
Here's a taster of the menu:
- Hispi cabbage, pancetta lardons, croutons, anchovies and garlic sauce
- Salmon tartare with avocado sorbet and squid ink tuile
- Roasted cauliflower with spiced cumin yogurt, coriander and harissa.
- Braised mushrooms with chargrilled baby gem, tofu dressing and pumpkin seed pesto
- Slow-cooked lamb shoulder served on a bed of sourdough flatbread, sweet pepper sauce and finished with goat cheese
- Pan-fried fillet of cod with n’duja cannellini beans stew and lemon gremolata.
- Orange pie, with white chocolate cream, orange gel and crispy filo
- Lemon cream with Italian meringue, raspberry sorbet, and honeycomb.
In addition, they'll be creating everything in house, from bread to ice cream and sorbet (including blood orange sorbet). And they'll be open for weekend brunch too - dishes including pancakes with milk chocolate cream, bananas, honeycomb and caramel sauce.
More about Joan
Where is it? 19-23 Bethnal Green Road, Shoreditch, London E1 6LA
When does it open? December 2020
Subscribe to be the first to get the news from Hot Dinners