26/7/19 - updated with more info on the drinking and dining spaces
What: Mama Fuego
In a nutshell: Australia meets Argentina in Greenwich Peninsula
Summing it all up: North Greenwich is getting a dining and drinking emporium, mixing Aussie coffee know-how with South American food inspiration. With a bit of a 60s vibe mixed in.
Last year they opened Abuelo in Covent Garden. Now the mother and daughter team behind that Antipodean-meets-South American coffee house and kitchen are opening their second venue, in Greenwich Peninsula.
Mama Fuego is being described as a "dining and drinking emporium" - an all-day space which mixes Aussie and Argentinean food and drink styles. So there's a Milk-bar cafe serving Aussie speciality coffee, a garden with an outdoor parrilla (barbeque) that overlooks the river as well as a bakery and cafe.
The bakery side of things is being run by pastry chef Tarunima Sinha of My Little Cake Tin whose food you might have last tried at Asma Khan's Calcutta Canteen off Carnaby Street.
The spaces include:
- The Milk Bar - where there will be floral cakes, Matcha and Charcoal soft serve ice cream, Tim Tams and Caramello Koalas. It's the closest to the original Abuelo
- The Dining Room - serving Australian-style food, as well as featuring a hydroponic cress and edible flower farm (for use by the chefs)
- Sunken Lounge and Conversation Pit - which also features a snug with an "Australian home-kitchen vibe"
- The Bakery - featuring patisserie, cakes, breads and pasta to eat there or take away
- The Triangle Bar - a tap room that features a gin distillery on the second floor
- The Garden - a terrace that overlooks the Thames, featuring a parilla grill in summer
As for the design, expect a 60s and 70s feel inspired by the "set-design of the James Bond and Pink Panther films of this era"
The whole thing is part of The Tide, described as a "cultural linear park" down by the Thames and designed by some of the people behind NYC's The High Line, which will also feature sculptures and art (including something from Damien Hirst). It all sounds very ambitious.
More about Mama Fuego
Where is it? 69-72 Olympian Way, Greenwich Peninsula, London SE10 0NA
When does it open? 19 September 2019
Subscribe to be the first to get the news from Hot Dinners