Updated with opening date.
West End institution Simpson's-in-the-Strand is about to get a major facelift, courtesy of the Savoy. It's rare that you can get away with describing something as "iconic" and while Simpson's fits that bill, it's been clear that something extra was needed to bring the place back to its glory days. Here's what you need to know:
1. The restaurant is getting a full-on refurb
The restaurant, which boasts the covetable, central location of 100 The Strand, as well as oak panelled walls and silver chandeliers, closed from April to allow for the refurbishment. Everything seems set to have a bit of a spruce up, with restored ceilings and soft furnishings heading for the Grand Divan dining room, all from Robert Angell Design International (also behind Marcus, Tredwells, Lime Wood and more).
2. There's a new chef, with a focus on British dishes
In the kitchen will be new chef William Hemming and he'll be pulling together a mix of traditional and contemporary British dishes. They'll include:
- London smoked salmon, with Wildes London zero curd, sea herbs & pickled cucumber
- Buccleuch Estate beef tartar, with potted ox cheek & beef dripping.
- Corn-fed chicken breast with lemon verbena, charred sweet corn, broad beans, ox springs pancetta
- Pan fried sea trout with Scottish mussels, samphire, cucumber, native kelp broth, beach herbs
- Barnsley Chop served with Welsh rarebit, leek fondue, mint & watercress.
3. There's still a carvery trolley. Phew.
Not to worry though, as they’ll be keeping their special 1840s carving trolleys for diners who prefer their roast beef served tableside. And if you’re in the mood to take something home with you, there’ll also be a shop in the restored tiled entranceway, including drinks and a healthy selection of British Cheeses.
4. But there's also a drinks trolley!
The bar looks like worth seeking out too. It'll have a menu from head bartender of the American Bar at The Savoy, Erik
Lorincz, with the bespoke Simpson’s Old Tom Gin making many an appearance. AND there's a drinks trolley for tableside cocktail service - for both martinis and negronis.
What: Simpsons on the Strand
Where: 100 Strand, London WC2R 0EW
When: Reopening 10 July 2017
For more, visit their website.