Another top food list snuck past us yesterday, as the Sunday Times announced its top 200 places to eat in the UK, in association with Harden's. Michael Caines' Gidleigh Park made it to number one, taking over from last year's winner Andrew Farlie at Gleneagles.
London, however, doesn't fare very well in the top 20 at all (particularly when this is cross referenced with other lists like the World's 50 Best). It doesn't get a mention until number 8, with The Ledbury being the only London restaurant in the top ten. Indeed, London only gets another three mentions in the top 20 in total, with Le Gavroche at 15, One-o-One at 16 and Pied a Terre at 16. All of which is at odds with the press release which was sent out which says the London dominates the Top 100 with 51 entries. The list is based on 80,000 reviews from 9,000 consumers who contribute to the Harden's guidebook.
- Gidleigh Park - Devon
- Andrew Fairlie - Gleneagles
- The Yorke Arms - Ramsgill
- Restaurant Nathan Outlaw - Rock, Cornwall
- Restaurant Martin Wishart - Edinburgh
- Fraiche - Oxton,
- Le Manoir Aux Quat' Saisons - Great Milton
- The Ledbury - Notting Hill, London
- L'Enclume - Cartmel, Cumbria
- Restaurant Sat Bains - Nottingham
- The Kitchin - Edinburgh
- The Fat Duck - Bray, Berkshire
- Mr Underhill's - Ludlow, Shropshire
- The Waterside Inn - Bray, Berkshire
- Le Gavroche - Mayfair, London
- One-o-One - Knightsbridge, London
- Pied A Terre - Fitzrovia, London
- Midsummer House - Cambridge, East
- Drake's - Ripley, Surrey
- Hambleton Hall - Rutland, Midlands
The rest of the list very much leans towards the tried and tested, with classic restaurants making up the London part of the top 50. While it's great to see these restaurants getting plaudits, the list is very light on new entries. Newer entries include Sushi Tetsu at 31 and Tom Sellers' Story at 52 The Five Fields at 63, Tartufo at 113 and The Clove Club at 133.
The Sunday Times is serialising the list over the next few weeks and you can see a map of the results on their website (if you have a subscription).