Rok may be gone, but Nordic dining in Islington is back with the opening of Skal. They've quietly taken over the space left by Rok on Islington's Upper Street promising traditional Nordic recipes but with a modern, seasonal twist from head chef Lauri Hilli (formerly Sanctum Soho). The space looks much the same as it was with Rok - it still has a stripped-back Scandi vibe, so fits the new restaurant well.
As for the menu - here's what we know so far:
- Gravad lax, hovmästarsås, pickled cucumber and wasabi
- Crispy ‘kroppkakor’, wild mushrooms, västerbotten cheese & cloudberry vinaigrette
- Birch salmon, hot smoked in-house with pickled beetroot, dill and Swedish mustard
- Venison meatballs, wild mushrooms, game sauce lingonberries and pickled cucumber
- Swedish rice pudding, brandy-soaked cloudberries cinnamon, honey & toasted almonds
- Sticky chocolate cake ‘kladdkaka’, skyr, orange & liquorice
Alongside that, they'll be serving up homemade Aquavits, wine and cocktails with a Nordic twist.
More about Skal
Where is it? 149 Upper Street, London N1 1RA
When does it open? Open now
Subscribe to be the first to get the news from Hot Dinners