Every once in a while a new opening of note slips by us. Upstairs at John the Unicorn on Peckham's Rye Lane is one such place.
The pub opened an upstairs restaurant around eight weeks ago and it's of note, mainly, because of the chap in charge of the kitchen. Many of you will know Ben Mulock from his previous role as senior sous at The Opera Tavern.
A quick look at one of Ben's sample menus made us want to eat there very badly. Dishes are priced between £4 and £10.50 per plate and range from light-bites to more hearty options. Examples include
- Sage and onion sausage roll
- Brisket and blue cheese croquettes
- Beef dripping focaccia with yeasted butter
- Sticky chicken heart skewers, white bean puree and toasted seeds
- Charred leeks, hazelnut and red pepper sauce, focaccia shavings
- Burrata, tenderstem broccoli and wild garlic pesto
If all this makes you want to get down there directly, you'll find Upstairs at John the Unicorn at 157 Rye Lane, Peckham, SE15 4TL. Dinner is currently served five nights a week, Tuesday to Saturday 5-10pm. Lunch is served on Saturday 12-3.30pm and Sunday 12-5pm. For reservations or more information go to www.johntheunicorn.com or call 020 7732 8483. Keep up with their news on Twitter @JohnTUnicorn