8/5/17 - updated with details of the sandwiches
Set to be a one-day celebration of all things between two pieces of bread, the Hackney-based food fair will bring together eight of the capital’s top sandwich hawkers, including Deeney’s, Grill My Cheese, Le Bao, Project Sandwich and the Piadina Project.
There’ll be taster-sized portions for those who are playing the long game, or you can go all in with a hearty portion, like haggis toasties from Deeney’s, or Italian flatbreads from the Piadina project. And if you’re feeling extra-serious about your sarnies, you can join in judging a competition for best sandwich. Here's what's promised:
- Bala Baya’s Sticky date glazed short rib, bonfire potatoes & green horseradish aioli served in pitta
- Deeney’s The Macbeth – well-renowned offering featuring Haggis, Scottish cheddar, caramelised onions, rocket and mustard on toasted granary.
- Earl’s The Kim Wrong Un - Korean style buttermilk fried chicken with Gim, cucumber kimchi, young coriander and Gochujang mayo
- Grill My Cheese’s Londonion – their take on a cheese and onion toastie featuring onion jam, pickled onion gel, pickled onion Monster Munch, spring onion, signature cheese blend.
- Le Bao’s Pork Belly Bao – Voted Best Sandwich at The Street Food Awards 2016, braised pork belly, sweet powdered peanuts, Mirin cucumbers, Hoisin, coriander, chilli.
- Project Sandwich’s El Jefe, Revisited – smoked pork, roasted chilli, salsa mojo, pickles, gruyère, crackling.
- The Piadina Project’s The Lincolnshire - Italian flatbread, fresh burrata, butter-flied Lincolnshire sausage, crisped pancetta, rocket & homemade mushroom glaze.
- Happy Endings ‘Naughty’ – delicious salted caramel and miso parfait in between fine layers of chocolate Guinness cake.
Once you’ve had time to digest all that, you can refresh yourself with a healthy selection of craft beers while taking in some live music, and polish it all off with an ice-cream sandwich.
Sandwich Fest is set to very much be a labour of love, gathering the bulk of its funding from the sandwich-loving public who contributed over £2k to a Kickstarter to help the event become a reality, across just two days.
Where: Courtyard at SPACE Gallery Courtyard, Warburton Street, Hackney E8 3RH.
When: 20 May 2017, from 12-4.30pm and 5-10pm
How much: Tickets to the event will be £9 plus a booking fee, and includes a taster sandwich and a drink.