Nightjar cocktail bar in Old Street is high up on many best-of lists, including making it to the top three of the World's 50 Best Bars list. So any new opening from them is enough to make us sit up and pay attention. That next bar is Oriole and it's coming to Smithfield Market this week.
It'll be styled after an old-school nightclub, with a stage for live music - swing, jazz and blues are all on the agenda - and the bar will be themed using elements from the "Old World, New World and the Orient.".
That globetrotting will be referfenced in the cocktails, which include:
- Forest Sprite (Old world) - Gin, Arlette Beer, Wormwood Matcha, and Thaiberry Tea
- Prairie Horn (New world) - mixes Bourbon with House Compost Tea, Prekese Syrup and Mustard Foam.
- Ryoan-Ji (Orient) - Blue Rose Milk, Japanese Whisky and Seaweed Syrup served in a ceramic egg basket.
And there's food on offer too - mainly snacks and small plates, including:
- Tuna Nikkei, Ponzu Sauce - £7.50
- Crab Causitas, Jalapeño & Avocado Sauce - £8
- Venison Tartare, Crispy Black Quinoa, Truffle Sabayon - £8
- Mexican Chicken, Miso Corn Humita, Avocado Salsa - £9
- Tamarind Glaze Pork, Sambal, Kimchi - £11
- Lomo Salteado, Pardon Peppers, Yuca, Chimichurri Nikkei - £16.50
- Sea Bass Miso Amarillo, Chili,Pupure Potato Mash, Green Papaya Salad - £16.50
- Peruvian Maki Acevichado - £13.50
- Black Truffle Croquette, Huincaina Sauce .£ 5