Annual restaurant awards can be a bit of a dull affair, so we always look forward to olive magazine's Alternative Restaurant Awards which go beyond the usual suspects to root out some really interesting new additions to the dining scene.
The full awards are to be found in the October issue of the magazine, out now. Here's a heads-up on some of the London spots which delighted the magazine's judging panel for a variety of reasons.
- Hippest of the hipsters: The Book Club in Shoreditch
- Best British tapas: Mason & Taylor
- The sure-thing opening of the year: Pollen Street Social
- Most educational menu: Roganic
- Wrap star: Dosa and Chutney in Tooting
- Best restaurant without walls: Pitt Cue Co
- Best place to make new friends: Chabrot
- Thinking beyond charcuterie and cheese: Galoupet
- I can't believe it's not Naples for the pizzas: Ealing's Santa Maria
- Best use of a former Pitcher and Piano: Les Deux Salons
- Worth the scrum: José
- The bar's the star: Opera Tavern
- Convention-defying genius: Cheesey cheddar naan at Dishoom
- Most hyped restaurant: Dinner by Heston Blumenthal
- Funniest restaurant tweeters: @polposoho, @blueprintcafe and @SJRestaurant
For more details on olive and how to subscribe, visit their website.
Restaurants opening soon in London
And if you'd like to find out what could be on next year's awards lists - click here for our Upcoming Restaurants round-up.