The team behind Culpeper, the roof garden-resplendent Commercial Street cocktail joint, is opening a third establishment called The Green, named after Clerkenwell Green where it lives.
Director Nico Treguer has been working together with his counterpart Gareth Roberts for some years now, on a quest to convince London’s landlords to utilise what can often be the only bit of green space for miles - the roof. So you can very much expect to take in some London views with your drink once the full structural refurbishment comes to a complete end later on in 2017 (including a rooftop).
For now though, there’s a freshly opened kitchen complete with a full equipped menu, from bar snacks through to desserts. Among the lighter bites, you can try the devilled crab on toast, or a pork and pistachio terrine. Starters include Jerusalem artichoke soup, mussels with cider and bacon or steak tartare, while the mains, which range from £12 - £14 include plenty of pub grub classics. They are:
- Roasted winter vegetables, saute potatoes, blue cheese, hazelnuts
- Whole grilled plaice, salsify, leeks, beurre blanc
- Line caught squid and chickpea stew, burnt lemon and aioli
- Glazed Jacob’s ladder, mashed potatoes, pickled walnut and savoy cabbage
- Lamb shoulder, suet pudding, purple broccoli, anchovy and garlic crumb
If you’re keen on something sweet to finish your meal, try the panna cotta with cookies or the rice pudding, or a cheese board with chutney for £10.
Guest ales will rotate fortnightly, and there’ll be natural wines from Les Caves de Pyrene and cocktails to come early next year.