A Hot Dinners exclusive
The people behind Angelina are getting ready to launch something a bit different in Soho. It's taking over the spot they previously opened as the bar Golden Gai, which is now going to be transformed and relaunched as their second restaurant - Dai Chi.
Dai Chi will be all about bringing Osaka's kushikatsu dining to Soho (that's kushi for skewer and katsu for deep-fried). So that's panko-breadcrumbed deep-fried skewers of meat, fish and vegetables. They've immediately won us over with that idea.
Like Angelina, they're going to offer omakase-style menus of a couple of different lengths (a set menu at £35 and their all-in menu at £58). Each menu will kick off with two crudo dishes before heading into the hot skewer action. Among the skewers planned are:
- Shiso, shitake and hazelnut
- Lotus root, goma and black sesame whipped with tofu, aged balsamic
- Scallop, bergamot ponzu and Exmouth caviar
- Lobster tail and hokkaido brioche ‘skewered lobster burger’
- Lamb neck with ginger, rosemary and soy, finished with harissa and mustard garnish
- A5 wagyu tenderloin and white truffle (all-in menu only)
- Deep-fried oysters with Blackberry & Yuzu Kosho Granita (all-in menu only)
There will be chestnut and smoked soy on the side and it will finish off with Japanese risotto (that'll change regularly with Japanese uni & Mentaiko first up) and an as-yet unrevealed dessert.
Alongside all those skewers will be an international wine list and sake list, created by Haruka Hisata, their sake and wine sommelier.
They say it's something that hasn't been seen in London before, and given Angelina's continued success in Dalston, we're looking forward to seeing what they come up with.
More about Dai Chi
Where is it? 16A D'Arblay Street, London W1F 8EA
When does it open? 17 November (50% off food until 27 November)
Subscribe to be the first to get the news from Hot Dinners