Online retailer Merchant Gourmet (where you can buy all manner of pulses and grains) are getting into the restaurant business with a pop-up space in Islington. It's working as a companion to their website so, as you might expect, those grains and pulses are heavily featured on the menu.
While it's a strongly vegetarian affair, it's not completely veggie either with a few meat dishes cropping up. And for each dish, you'll get a recipe card that'll let you create it at home.
Some of those dishes include:
- Puy lentil croquettes (£6) - crispy Puy Lentil and sun-dried tomato croquettes served with aioli & a hot splash of Sriracha.
- Confit lamb shoulder served with Freekeh, raz-el-hanout, dried apricots and tomatoes. (£10)
- Smoky spanish style grains with hake (£10) with smoky Spanish Style Grains, chorizo, peppers & a paprika dusting.
- Chestnut & beluga lentil sliders (£8) - Chestnut, sausage meat, hoi-sin, pak choi, lime & ginger, and a spiced Beluga Lentil and beetroot slider . Served with cheddar polenta chips and crunchy quinoa coleslaw.
- Quinoa coconut pudding (£7) Quinoa, and a passion fruit, mango and papaya syrup, topped with coconut yoghurt and kiwi.
Plus they'll also be serving up weekend brunch, which adds in quinoa porridge and pancakes as well as smoked grains kedgeree and a full English with a Beluga Lentil black pudding.
As for the length of the pop-up, it's looking pretty much like a complete restaurant to us, so it may be around for a longish while.
What: Grain and Graze
Where: 330 Upper Street, Islington, London N1 2XQ
When: 14 September
Find out more: Visit their website