The original Copita in Soho has proven to be a huge hit since it opened, so it's good news for Spitalfields as the same people are opening a second restaurant, Copita Del Mercado, on Wentworth Street.
The new Copita promises to serve larger portions than the original Copita, steering slightly away from the original tapas concept. A look at the menu reveals the following dishes which do sound great:
- Roasted sweet potato, spicy red pepper sauce, aioli, rosemary peanuts
- Red wine braised lentils, bread picada (fried bread, sundried tomato, thyme, confit garlic) and piparras (sweet pickled chillies)
- Truffled potato puree, spinach (in confit garlic oil), duck egg yolk and toasted bread (croutons), crispy potato skins
- Roasted aubergine with cachorreña (chopped tomato, confit garlic, fresh coriander, chopped egg), toasted almonds, tomato honey
- Tuna tartare, Granny Smith apple, tarragon butter & pine nuts
- Sea bass lemon fritura, parsley aioli
- Cured fish, salazones y encurtidos: smoked anchovies, boquerones & cured sardines. Served with capers, roasted shallot mayonnaise and salted crisps
- Hake fillet, toasted almonds, roasted grapes and pickled fennel
- Mar y montaña. Black bean stew, sobrasada and queenie scallops (or cuttlefish) with chive oil
- Iberico pork jowl, confit piquillo pepper, apple and hazelnuts
- Fried duck egg & morcilla Iberica
- Neck of lamb, pistachio crumbs, sweet and sour apricot puree Roasted Iberico presa, white onion sauce, pincho moruno salsa
Alongside the food, the drinks list will also be more extensive than the Soho original with an all-Spanish wine list, a big selection of sherry and plenty of craft beer. As well as the "Spanish style gin & tonics" - which won't be on the small side...
The restaurant itself will seat around 75 plus another 45 when the weather warms up a bit on their outdoor terrace (likely to open June 2015). That's promising great views of the local area too. The front part of Copita Del Mercado promises to be similar to the Soho original with tapas-style bar eating and seating at the main bar and kitchen counter. The rest of the restaurant will have more traditional style seating and they will be taking bookings with some spaces left free for walk-ins too.
Copita Del Mercado opens on 3 December at 60 Wentworth St, London E1 7TF. They have a soft launch from 3 - 23 December with 25% off food and you can book that online now. For more information, follow them on Twitter @copitamercado