A new restaurant and bar is coming to Shepherd Market that pays tribute to a very old London institution. Hatchetts was originally a hotel and coffee house in Piccadilly with a reputation going all the way back to Dickens. The name's been appropriated and moved around the corner to this new restaurant and bar. Given the history of the name, expect a very classic look - lots of wood panelling and marble.
The man behind it is Duncan Watson-Steward.who also owns The Star in Highgate. It'll be split into an upstairs bar area (with snacks) and a downstairs dining room. In charge of the food is Andrew Evans who has worked alongside a whole heap of big names from Fergus Henderson to Gordon Ramsay and Mark Hix - and won best Sunday Roast at the OFM awards in 2014 while he was at The Colonel Fawcett.
For the bar, his snacks include
- Steamed English Asparagus, Fried Duck Egg, Morecambe Bay Brown Shrimps
- Shorthorn beef tartare, homemade corned beef, pickled baby girolles and toast
- Tudge pig’s head & black pudding scotch egg, Cumbrian air-dried ham, pickles and Piccalilli
- Braised fennel & Berkswell terrine, shaved milk turnip, capers, lemon & chervil
And downstairs in the restaurant there will be:
- Devonshire crab & nectarine salad, brown crab mayo, cucumber, samphire & borage
- 12oz Shorthorn rib eye on the bone, Lyonnais potatoes & bone marrow gravy
- Creamy Maize, Crispy Fried Baby Violet Artichokes, Crushed Broad Beans, Lemon, Garlic, Parsley & Shaved Ewes Cheese
- Chicken glazed cod, steamed cockles & clams, seaweed jelly & crispy seashore findings
- Buttermilk pudding & pouched rhubarb, rhubarb & hibiscus sorbet
As for drinks, expect a focus on single malt whiskies, a short wine list and a section devoted to champagne cocktails.
Hatchetts is opening at 5 White Horse Street, London W1J 7LQ on 4 July 2016. They'll have a soft launch from 4-6 and 8-9 July with 50% off food. Book by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org and find out more by following them on Twitter @hatchettslondon.