When no-one could go to restaurants this past year, TikTok took over and served up various viral recipe hits - one of which was Nobu's amazing spicy tuna crispy rice. We went straight to the source, Nobu itself, to find out how to make it.
- Sushi rice – 140g
- Water (plus extra for rinsing) – 140g
- Rice wine vinegar – 1tbsp
- Granulated sugar – 1tbsp
- Maldon salt – 1tsp
- Sashimi-grade tuna – 250g
- Spring onion (finely chopped) – 2 spring onions
- Kew pie mayonnaise – 2 tbsps
- Sriracha sauce – to taste
- Oil for deep frying
- Light soy sauce
- Rinse the uncooked rice several times until the water runs clear. Cook the rice in a rice cooker with a cup of water.
- Lightly warm the vinegar in a small pan, and dissolve the sugar and salt into it.
- Pour the vinegar over the cooked rice and stir to cover each grain evenly.
- Firmly pack the rice into a musubi maker or roll it tightly into a rectangular log. Cover with plastic wrap and chill in the fridge overnight.
- Once the rice is set, carefully remove and cut the rice into inch cubes.
- Dice the tuna into small pieces and then finely chop.
- Mix the tuna with the spring onion, mayonnaise and squirt of sriracha sauce, and taste.
- Heat the oil to 180oc for deep frying.
- Insert a toothpick into each cube and deep fry in the oil until golden brown.
- Once crisp top the rice with the tuna, or serve on the side with some light soy sauce for dipping.
Nobu's latest is the Nobu Hotel Portman Square - read our Test Drive of the restaurant.
Photos by Alessa Delgado
Subscribe to hear the latest from Hot Dinners