They already have three hit restaurants in London with Primeur, Westerns Laundry and Jolene and now the same team are heading down to Cornwall. David Gingell (who grew up in Cornwall) and Jeremie Cometto are bringing Fitzroy to the harbour town of Fowey.
Being so close to the sea means that yes, daily catches will be a big thing on the menu. As a result, it will be highly seasonal, but a few planned dishes for the launch include:
- Mussels Escabeche and Crab Soup with Cultured Cream
- Cod with Clams, Cucumber and Sea beets
- Spiced Gurnard with Shellfish Sauce, Potatoes and Fennel
- Onglet with Onions, Garlic and Croutons
- Orange and Almond Tart, with Strawberries and Clotted Cream
- Beenleigh Blue with Pickled Pears.
It's a two-floor restaurant, with kitchen counter seating and a first-floor private room inside the wine cellar, overlooking the kitchen. And as well as the wine ("classic & approachable bottles from smaller ethical producers and some fine older vintages") expect local cider and beer, as well as their own vermouth.
So if you're local, it sounds like a must visit - and if you're heading to Cornwall this summer, definitely make a detour to Fowey.
Photos by Patricia Niven
More about Fitzroy
Where is it? 2 Fore Street, Fowey, PL23 1AD
When does it open? June 2019
Subscribe to be the first to get the news from Hot Dinners