Updated 7/11/18 with soft launch offer
In a nutshell: Seafood in Pop Brixton
Summing it all up: Simon Whiteside originally opened Hook in Camden and now he's bringing his seafood expertise to Pop Brixton with his own restaurant, Roe. Expect sustainable seafood on an ever-changing menu that showcases his Irish influences.
This latest opening in Pop Brixton looks well worth keeping an eye on. It comes from Irish chef Simon Whiteside who originally opened the much-praised Hook seafood restaurant in Camden (and has also worked with Raymond Blanc and The Dairy's Robin Gill). And now he's moving to the opposite side of London for his own venture, Roe.
It's the latest opening at Pop Brixton (which has brought us restaurants like the mighty Kricket) and like everything there, is taking over a shipping container (with an added terrace). And the restaurant, like Hook, will focus on seafood - this time sustainable seafood from the British and Irish coast.
It'll have an ever-changing menu and we can expect to see some Irish influences on there too. Some of the kick-off dishes include:
- Ink and Guinness soda bread with seaweed butter - with mackerel pate, whipped smoked cod’s roe (yes, please) or house smoked salmon with horseradish
- Grey mullet Poitin ceviche with cucumber and lime
- Cuttlefish and ink arancini with pecorino foam and monkfish carpaccio with a roasted cauliflower puree and pickled shitake
- Ray wing with Jerusalem artichoke and wild mushrooms
- Confit sea trout accompanied with sea greens and an oyster and sorrel emulsion
- Spiced ling with fermented lentils, roast onion squash and chard
That does look like a really great menu (particularly the Irish touches). On top of that, there will be a daily whole fish special. And desserts sound great too, with sea salt and brown butter blondies served with pistachio clotted cream in the mix. And British and Irish cheese, of course.
Drinks-wise, there will be a short cocktail list, including a honey and pear margarita (honey, pear, triple sec, tequila & rosemary) and G & Tea (earl grey tea mixed with gin, cardamom and cinchona bark). And you can book ahead (with the terrace seats left for walk-ins).
More about Roe
Where is it? Unit S38, Pop Brixton, 49 Brixton Station Road, SW9 8PQ.
When does it open? 13 November 2018
Opening times: Tuesday – Thursday (dinner only) & Friday – Sunday (lunch & dinner).
Find out more: Follow them on Instagram @roebrixton.
Subscribe to be the first to get the news from Hot Dinners