New Year's Eve in London isn't traditionally an evening given over to great food. It's more about either hiding yourself away at home whilst drunken revellers fill the streets or joining said revellers and having a very, very quiet New Year's Day as a result.
But if you've had enough of being stuck at home with the relatives and want to head into town for dinner, there are a fair few decent restaurants open for business.
Whether you're looking for bargain basement or black tie - our New Year's Eve 2014 restaurant list has it all.
Gastronomic feast at Ember Yard
There are all manner of good things to eat and drink at the New Year's Eve party being planned at Ember Yard.They're holding a late night feast to bring in 2015, from 10pm-1:30am with the most extravagant of menus including five year aged Jamon Iberico Reserva, lobster, venison and Piemontese White Alba truffles. To get (and keep) the party going there'll be Ember Yard’s signature cocktails and of course, Champagne. Tickets are £175. Book by emailing Daniel at firstname.lastname@example.org
Dinner and a party at Quo Vadis
We're big fans of Jeremy Lee's food and we think New Year and a party at Quo Vadis is definitely worth a look. It'll be taking bookings for tables from 5.30pm on New Year's Eve with a special three course set menu, with five choices per course at £55 per head plus service. And once dinner is over, there will be a "hum dinga" of a party in the club upstairs and this year, and anyone dining at the restaurant can join in. Call 020 7437 9585 quoting "New Year's Eve" to make a reservation.
New Year in the Shard with aqua
If you want a great view of the fireworks, then The Shard has to be one of the best places to be. If you want a table at Aqua Shard, it'll cost you £395 for dinner plus half a bottle of champagne - but you will get to keep the table all evening long. You can also book a space in the bar for £95 (which includes a glass of champagne). They'll be having "a sophisticated swing band in the atrium between 9pm and midnight and then dance until 3.30am to one of the UK’s top DJs, DJ Nikki Beatnik".
At Hutong, the deal's the same (although the tables are slightly cheaper at £345) for a five course northern Chinese menu of sharing dishes with a half bottle of champagne on arrival. The bar tickets here include a glass of champagne on arrival and a dim sum platter. You can also join the party at Aqua Shard after the fireworks.
To book, email them at newyearseve@aqua-London.com.
A view of the park with Galvin at Windows
Another Hot Dinners favourite is Galvin at Windows, the masterful restaurant at the top of the Hilton Hotel just off Hyde Park. Here you'll get some of the best service in town from Fred Sirieix alongside a six course menu with a glass of champagne. They're highly sought tables - so come at a price, £450 per person. To book call 020 7208 4021 or email email@example.com.
An Indian New Year with Trishna and Gymkhana
Last year, Gymkhana topped everyone's favourite restaurant lists so it's a natural choice for New Year's Eve. They'll have a special New Year’s Eve Menu as well as a vegetarian Menu, both £75 for 6 courses (£130 with wine pairing). you can see the whole menu here which includes Potato Chat, Chickpeas, Tamarind, Sev, Bhatti Ka Grouse, Samosa, Garlic Pickle, Wild Rabbit Nihari, Aloo Chokha, and Chestnut and Date Kheer. To book, call 020 3011 5900.
Gymkhana's sister restaurant Trishna also has a five or seven course menu (starting at £65 a head) and you can see that here. To book, call 020 7935 5624.
Or a Bombay-style New Year with Dishoom
This year, all the Dishooms will be running the annual Bombay Vintage Glam New Year’s Eve party. You'll be urged to dress up in "Bombay Vintage glam" and there will be a welcome glass of Prosecco, followed by a selection of Dishoom favourites including Calamari, Lamb Raan, Phaldari Kofta Ruby, Masala Prawns and Black Daal. DJ's will then run the decks from 10pm till late. It's £48 per person and you can book by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or call 020 7420 9320.
More high rise with Sushisamba and Duck & Waffle
Always a good choice for a high rise party are the duo at the Heron Tower, Sushisamba and Dan Doherty's Duck & Waffle.
Sushisamba's party is "inspired by the Brazilian tradition of Réveillon, the awakening of a New Year in Rio de Janeiro, when white-clad revellers pay homage to Yemenja, the Brazilian goddess of the sea, by setting candlelit offerings afloat on the waters". There are two options here - the first costs £150 per person with a Champagne reception, entertainment (DJ, samba dancers, batucada drummers), and festive canapés created by Executive Chef Claudio Cardoso (including Yellowtail Taquitos; Kuromitsu Glazed Pork Belly Wraps; SUSHISAMBA’s signature El Topo roll; Yuzu Meringue Tart; and Chilli Chocolate Macaroon). Next, there's the premier dinner experience at £250 per person. That has all the above, plus a tasting menu, with dishes such as Ox Cheek Gyoza, Black Cod Anticucho, Tiger Maki, and Chocolate Banana Cake. Book by calling 0203 640 7330 and find full details here.
Upstairs at Duck and Waffle, there will be a "free flowing Champagne reception" with canapés by Doherty, and entertainment by DJs Leo Bedford and Will Weaver. That'll cost you £150 but for an extra £50, you'll also get a tasting menu with dishes like Longhorn Rib Eye from Thirsk, Sea Trout ‘Gribiche’ and Vanilla Baked Alaska. Book by calling 0203 640 7330 and find full details here.
New Year's opera at the Royal Opera House
If you fancy a bit of class with your new year celebration, then the Royal Opera House's event could do the trick. It'll start with a Ruinart champagne and canapé reception in the Clore Ballet Studio - "a rare opportunity to see a working back of house space" before the fiour-course dinner in the Paul Hamlyn Hall from chefs that include Claire Clark MBE. You'll be serenaded by The Royal Opera Chorus who will sing classics. At midnight, you can watch the fireworks from the Amphitheatre Terrace before The Denmark Street Big Band plays into the early hours. It's a black tie event and tickets are £495 per person Book by calling 0207 212 9297.
A Ramsay New Year
Most of Gordon Ramsay's restaurants will be open for the new year - the two really special occasions look like Michelin starred Petrus which has a 10 course tasting menu from £185 per person - including confit duck, toasted hazelnut and spiced red wine; red legged partridge with wild mushrooms and more (see a menu here). Book by calling 0207 592 1609.
Alternatively, an early dinner at the Savoy Grill looks like a pretty good bet too. There, the early menu is just £50 per person - although if you're staying the evening, the later one is a seven course menu for £180 per person (with truffles, foie gras and pheasant terrine, pan-fried Orkney scallop, beef wellington and more on the menu). More information is available here and you can book by calling 0207 592 1600.
New Year's Eve with Elvis at The Lockhart (and the morning after)
If you're after a Southern American take on New Year's Eve, then head for The Lockhart. The meal served family style includes Oyster Stew, Turnips, Buttermilk, and Country Ham, Smoked Ribeye, Shrimp & Grits and more - as well as Champagne and a live Elvis impersonator - all at £100 a head. And if you survive New Year without too much of a hangover, then head there for the “Greens & Peas” Brunch. They say "In the South, each year on New Year’s Day family and friends gather to not only recount the previous night’s festivities, but to toast to the year ahead and eat “greens and peas.” The menu will include our fantastic brunch offerings, but also collard greens (For money!) and Hoppin’ John (For luck!)." To book, call 0203 011 5400.
New Year's Eve Crazy Golf & burgers
Another big hit this year has been the Shoreditch crazy golf, booze and street food sensation Swingers. They're having a New year party too with food from Patty&Bun and tunes from Spacestation. The menu from Patty&Bun mixes classics with some specials just for New Year - so expect the Ari Gold Cheeseburger as well as The Pig Dipper (dipped roast pork belly, provolone cheese, sausage gravy, confit garlic, nduja) Shrimp Poppaz and confit thighs with a tamarind Glaze and more. Golf tickets and bar tickets (£45 and £35 respectively, all include food) are on sale at their website.
A Mexican New Year
Mestizo Mecican restaurant and Tequila bar, just north of Warren Street, will be hosting their Año Nuevo (New Year) celebrations in true Mexican fiesta style. There will be a welcome margarita, followed by a traditional Mexican four course feast, champagne at midnight, mariachi music, dancing and more. You’ll also get the chance to take part in the Mexican 12 grapes traditional New Year Ritual. It's £60 per person.
Simon Rogan's Fera and a night at Claridge's
If you want a REALLY special new year and if money is no object, then the Claridge's package sounds pretty special. You'll have a welcome bottle of champagne ready in your room, a special seasonal six-course tasting menu and glass of champagne at Simon Rogan’s Fera at Claridge’s and a New Year’s Day breakfast in the Foyer and Reading Room with your choice of Bloody or Virgin Mary. You won't even have to check out until 2pm. It's £975 all-in and you can book by calling Claridge's on 0203 130 6972.
- L'atelier de Joel Robuchon will have a seven course tasting menu. There's La Saint Jacques, a scallop tartar with chopped black truffle; Le Homard D’ecosse, Scottish lobster with sweet corn and puffy, crispy rice; and Le Wagyu, Japanese top grade Wagyu beef with warm wasabi and harlequin peppers. Then to ring in 2015, you'll complete the meal with a glass of Champagne and Le Bauble, a smooth chocolate mousse with an orange heart and cinnamon ice-cream. It's £250 (£150 for vegetarians) per head. To make a booking, call 020 7010 8600 or email email@example.com
- In the Bulgari hotel, Rivea has a seven course menu af £145 per person at 6pm and then a second sitting is from 8:30pm with ten courses at £215 per person. Expect truffled potato veloute, homemade pumpkin gnocchi and Scottish lobster with braised Savoy cabbage and apples and more. To book firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Bar Boulud's new year menu is a three course affair for £115 featuring foie gras terrine, white truffle risotto and more of which you can see here. Book by calling them at 020 7201-3899.
- Newly reopened 108 Brasserie's menu is £45 a head with lobster bisque, dover sole and more on the menu. To book, call 0207 969 3900
- At London Bridge's Roast, there's an early sitting between 5.30 and 6.30pm (£75 - four courses and an class of champagne) and a later one from 8.30pm (£150 - five courses and an class of champagne). They're also taking bookings in the bar too for drinks and canapes. To book, call 0845 034 7300
- Also at the Shard, The Shangri La will be hosting a six-course menu of London Smoked Salmon, Wild Turbot and Prime British Tenderloin with Winter Truffles as well as live swing, jazz and a DJ will keep guests on their feet all night. Tickets for that are £400 a head and you can book at 020 7234 8108
- Marcus Wareing's restaurant at the Berkeley, Marcus, has a five course meny at £225 per guest, with matching wines available at £95 per person, with dinner served from 5pm to 11pm. You'll also leave with a goody bag including a half bottle of Champagne.
- Le Pain Quotidien on the South Bank will also be open for New Year and should be a great spot to watch the fireworks. It's £125 per person for a four course meal plus an aperitif and a mini bottle of organic prosecco for the New Year toast. To book call 020 3657 6925.
- Down in Peckham, the highly rated Peckham Bazaar also has a special NYE menu. It includes :Grilled marinated octopus, roasted pearl onions, Greek fava; Harissa marinated quail, herb pilaf, adjika and chicory; Spit roasted baby lamb, gigandes and skordalia; Pistacchio and almond cakes, quince and persimon preserves, mastic ice cream. It's £45 a head and you can book here.
- Have a riverside NYE in Richmond where The Bingham has a six course tasting menu for £140 per person including Slow cooked ducks egg, bacon crumbs, toasted hay, confit chicken; Aylesbury duck, duck bacon, sesame, Chinese cabbage; Salt caramel, caramelized apple, vanilla ice cream (with a vegetarian option too). To book call 020 8940 0902.
- Another good fireworks spot is the Blueprint Cafe. They'll have a three course New Year’s Eve menu with a sitting at 5.30pm and 7.45pm (£50 per person) or from 8pm onwards (£85 per person). The menu includes guinea fowl terrine and English beef fillet. Following dinner, you'll also have an option to board The Erasmus boat for "an unrivalled view of London’s legendary midnight firework display, whilst enjoying unlimited champagne". Tickets cost £175 and you can book here.
- In Fitzrovia, Bobo Social will be running a New Year's Eve Speakeasy. It will feature feature "an array of creative canapés and cocktails for revelers as well as live music from the era, a magician and a blackjack table, straight out of one of Jay Gatsbys infamous parties". It's £50 per person including a welcome cocktail and canapés and you can book here.
- In Shoreditch, Merchant's Tavern has two sittings for their New Year's Eve festivities. Early (5:30pm to 7:30pm) is £50 for a 3 course dinner menu plus a cocktail or champagne on arrival. Late diners (post 7:30pm) get canapés and cocktails on arrival, a 3 course dinner menu, champagne at midnight and a survivors breakfast at 1:30am for £120. Entertainment is provided by DJ Bill Brewster who'll be on the decks till 2:30am. To book call 0207 060 5335 or email email@example.com