While still very much a US tradition, in recent years Thanksgiving has started to steadily steep into the British consciousness, not least because of the greater influx of American chefs and restaurants. In the London food scene particularly, it’s a good excuse for restaurants to get their turkey on, coming up with all-American menus and pumpkin-themed parties galore. So whether you have a penchant for pecan pie or just want another reason for some good ol’ fashioned feasting, here our pick of the best events happening in London around Thanksgiving on Thursday 24th November.
34 Grosvenor Square, Mayfair, London W1K 2HD
In Mayfair, Chef Harvey Ayliffe has concocted a special menu at 34, which includes New England shellfish chowder (£9.50), roast turkey with cranberry stuffing, sweet potato gratin and buttered sprout tops (£27.50) and caramel pumpkin pie, served with maple ice cream (£9.50) .
Priceless London are putting on an exclusive (12 places only) four-course French-American feast with matched wines at Bar Boulud with MasterCard. Executive Chef Thomas Piat and Head Sommelier David Vareille will host a 4 course Thanksgiving menu with all the trimmings, including a Trio of Roast Turkey for main and Pecan tarte for dessert. Wines will be carefully matched to each course, with David pitting some of his favourite vintages from North America against those from his beloved home country, France. Tickets are £100 at Priceless London.
At Bodean’s they're putting on the Pilgrim Burger - a char-grilled turkey patty topped high with cornbread stuffing, home cured BBQ turkey ham, fresh cranberry and orange sauce, watercress and a drizzle of turkey gravy, available 1st – 27th November. On the day itself book for a three-course feast for £23.95 featuring clam chowder and quesadillas filled with BBQ pulled pork, chicken or veggies, followed by the customary turkey with all the trimmings and pumpkin pie..
205 City Rd, London EC1V 1JT
Bea Vo always puts on a good Thanksgiving Feast and this year is no exception. They're hostng a series of feasts from 24-26 November and it's an all-you-can-eat event so you can really get stuck in. There's turkey with wild mushroom sourdough stuffing, Sweet Potato Casserole with Marshmallows, pecan pie, pumpkin cheesecake and lots more.
4-6 Russell Street, Covent Garden, London WC2B 5HZ
Covent Garden's Balthazar has various all-American classics on the menu, including spiced roasted butternut squash soup, traditional roast turkey, and, of course, tasty pecan pie and pumpkin cheesecake.
12 Maiden Lane, London, WC2E 7NA, 332-334 Kings Road, Chelsea, London, SW3 5UR and Park Level, Crossrail Place, Canary Wharf
All three branches of Big Easy are putting on a family-style dinner featuring Pit-Smoked Turkey or whole Nova Scotian Lobster, Southern Slow-Cooked Cornbread Stuffing, Sweet Potato Mash, Green Bean Casserole and a rather fine sounding adults-only Jack Daniels infused Pumpkin Pie. Dinner is served all day on Thanksgiving from 12pm to 11pm - it's £35 per head and £17.50 for kids aged 10 and under.
18 Wellington Street, Covent Garden, London WC2E 7DD
This year, Christopher's is celebrating Thanksgiving and their 25th anniversary. Their three-course menu costs £58 per person and features Maryland Crab Cake with Red Pepper Mayo & Rocket Salad; Slow-cooked Ballotine of Organic Turkey with Corn bread, Hazelnut & Michigan Cherry Stuffing, Cranberry Relish, Buttered Beans & Creamed Potatoes; and Pear & Almond Cobbler among other dishes.
They'll have some special Thanksgiving cocktails too - it's heresy we know, but we do quite fancy the idea of the Pumpkin Pie Martini.
45 Park Lane, Mayfair, London, W1K 1PN
Over at CUT at 45 Park Lane they're serving up a three-course Thanksgiving menu which offers traditional holiday dishes with a twist - so you'll get roasted butternut squash soup with chanterelle mushrooms, goats cheese, toasted pine nuts and pumpkin seed oil, and roasted turkey with wild mushroom stuffing (pictured above) and red jewel sweet potato gratin with toasted pecans. They're pretty proud of their desserts this year which are Kabocha pumpkin and ginger cheesecake and pecan pie served with “10” year chocolate sauce and maple ice cream. The dinner is £95 per person and served on 24 November only.
All branches of The Diner are serving up a Thanksgiving menu from Thanksgiving Day, Thursday November 24th through to Christmas Eve.. Standout dishes include fried cheese curds from Wisconsin state and - the main event - a Sausage Stuffed Fried Turkey Burger with bacon, cranberry mayo and Brussel sprouts on a smooth Rinkoff’s bun.
The Arch London
If you're after a particularly succulent turkey try the Thanksgiving set menu at Hunter 486 which is running from Tuesday 22 November until Wednesday 30 November. At £25 for three courses it starts with spiced butternut squash soup. The main course is Norfolk Bronze Turkey cooked in their stone oven with prosciutto, roast sweet potatoes, maple glaze root vegetables and cranberry sauce and the meal is rounded off with a warm pecan tart with whisky ice cream.
Birthdays, Dalston. N16 8BJ
The Le Bun residency at Birthdays in Dalston has a Southern Fried Turkey Burger filled with all the traditional Thanksgiving favourites: sweet potato purée, crispy bacon, turkey, parsnip crisps, red cabbage slaw, cranberry sauce and truffle mayo plus gravy.
43-51 Great Titchfield St, London, W1W 7PQ
Kick off proceedings at Riding House Cafe with a very moreish sounding cocktail the Nicklejack featuring Applejack brandy, Scrumpy reduction,
roasted pumpkin & autumn spice purée and candied waffle.
For the main event there's turkey with cornbread and sausage stuffing and a range of sides including maple-buttered sweet potatoes, truffled mac n cheese and creamed corn casserole. Dessert is a pumpkin brulee pie or chocolate pecan pie. It's £40 served family style.
20 Upper Ground, London SE1 9PD
Sea Containers at Mondrian London are offering a very special Thanksgiving menu at lunch and dinner on 24th. The £50 menu starts with a Glass of Perrier-Jouët Champagne and a choice of three courses. Dishes on the menu includes Shrimp Mac n’Cheese, Clay Baked Half Lobster, Roasted Norfolk Turrkey and a Pumpkin Cheesecake
26 Kingly Street, London W1B 5QD
Brad McDonald's new restaurant is getting in on the Thanksgiving action this year with a three-course Thanksgiving feast available from 24-29 November for £45. It starts with a welcome drink, devilled eggs and pimento cheese on arrival. The main feast features Smoked Heritage Breed Turkey, USDA Smoked Brisket, country ham, white bread stuffing, glazed sweet potato, baked potato mash, creamed spinach, slaw and THAT cornbread. Oh and there's Pecan Pie and Banana Pudding for dessert.
1-11 John Adam St, London WC2N 6HT
At Smith & Wollensky the menu kicks off with sunchoke and wild mushroom soup with prosciutto crisps or oak smoked salmon and soda bread, followed by herb-roasted turkey with sausage and cornbread stuffing, cranberry sauce and red wine; gravy truffled globe artichoke (or you could opt for steak instead). Dessert is American pumpkin and pecan pie with malted vanilla ice-cream or chocolate marquise with whipped cream. It's £65 per person, available November 24-25.
Strut & Cluck
151 Commercial St, London E1 6BJ
If this East London spot, specialising in turkey can't turn out a good Thanksgiving dinner, who could? For £30 their take on the traditional feast includes sharing dishes like turkey wings smothered with harissa and honey or crispy rosemary and sesame and they have turkey koftas with currants and cashews and all manner of sides. Dessert is a pecan and date tart with vanilla ice cream (or a Levant rosewater pudding). Sounds great.
8-9 Snowfields, London SE1 3SU
It's Texas Joe's first Thanksgiving at Bermondsey and they've teamed up with Garrison Brothers for their event. It's an all-you-can-eat event with slow-smoked turkey, chipotle glazed vegetables, jalapeños added to cornbread and "Texan-measures of bourbon".
Also worth checking out
- Texan bourbon distillers Garrison Brothers are putting on A Very Texan Thanksgiving at Texas Joe's in SE1. They'll be showcasing 'the Texan way’ of slow-smoking turkey, chipotle glazing vegetables, adding jalapeños to cornbread. The evening costs £40 per person for ‘all-you-can-eat’ plus two Texas-sized shots of Garrison Brothers.
- Top US patisserie chef Dominique Ansel is serving up all manner of amazing sweet pies at his new London bakery for Thanksgiving. Individual slices of Pumpkin, Salted Caramel Apple and Bourbon Pecan Pies will be available in-store, at £6 per slice during the holidays, from Wednesday 16 – Sunday 27 November.
- Absurd Bird is putting on an all-American feast inspired by the Deep South including a Southern style smoked whole chicken.with two courses for £18.95 or three courses for £22.95.
- The Magazine restaurant at Serpentine Sackler Gallery will be open for Thanksgiving dinner on Thursday, 24th November has a beautiful pumpkin pie planned. Their menu is priced at £45 for three courses including a cocktail or at £65, including American wine pairings. To book a table, please call 020 7298 7552 or email email@example.com
- Launceston Place's chef Raphael Francois previously worked at New York's Le Cirque - his five course Thanksgiving menu runs from 22 - 27 November and includes oyster with creamy wine, chives and caviar, and pumpkin and sweet potato with pecan and marinated foie gras.
- Grab a Thanksgiving dog at Galvin Hop featuring a turkey and cranberry sausage which comes wrapped in bacon with cranberry relish and a crispy sage and onion topping. The dog comes with fries and is priced at £12.50 or get it to take away from Galvin Hop's 'Grab and Go' station for £6.50.
- Seth Troxler’s Smokey Tails will be open from 10am until late on Thanksgiving for a menu which includes Hush Puppies, Brined, Smoked then ‘Broasted’ Smoked Turkey and a cocktail menu featuring a Smoked Pineapple Sidecar.
- The Magazine restaurant at Serpentine Sackler Gallery will be open for Thanksgiving dinner on Thursday, 24th November has a beautiful pumpkin pie planned (see picture above). Their menu is priced at £45 for three courses including a cocktail or at £65, including American wine pairings. To book a table, please call 020 7298 7552 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Jackson + Rye has a traditional menu for £24.95 and a particularly great sounding Thanksgiving dessert - salted caramel peanut butter fudge pie.
- Borough Wines & Beer are putting on three nights of Brooklyn Beer Thanksgiving Dinners at three of their sites on 24, 25 and 26 November. It's £35 for a three course meal, welcome drink and beer flight.
- Missouri Angel in the City are celebrating on Thanksgiving with a menu which features a traditional turkey with maple cured bacon and chestnut stuffing. The three course menu costs £40.
- Love the look of Sager + Wilde on Paradise Row's menu. They're teaming up with Les Caves de Pyrene for a special evening of never before seen wines from California, Oregon and Vermont and classic thanksgiving dishes. The three course menu costs £35 - to book email email@example.com
- Browns Hotel in Mayfair has a Thanksgiving feast on 24th November with Executive Chef Lee Kebble and Director of Food Mark Hix presenting their menu over lunch and dinner - their pumpkin pie features Peruvian Gold chocolate. The three course meal costs £59.50 per person.
- New Covent Garden spot Margot has a luxury, three course Thanksgiving menu for £48, kicking off with pumpkin soup with amaretto crumble and toasted almonds followed by roasted suckling pork belly and apple pie for dessert, with calvados gelatine, vanilla and nutmeg ice cream.